This guide is about customizing and optimizing your Passat B6. We’ll explain how you can get the most out of your car by using coding techniques and make it just the way you like it. You’ll get an overview of how you can make your Passat B6 more unique and functional, and take your driving experience to the next level with a few simple steps. Join us on this exciting journey and discover what you can do with your Passat B6!
Want to customize your Passat B6 and save your favorite settings? You can do this easily with a special app. There are so many settings to choose from, and it’s so much more enjoyable to drive a car that’s tuned to your exact preferences.
What software do I need to code my Passat B6 and what are the tricks?
To customize your Passat B6 and get the most out of the many features available, all you need is the right software and a little patience. Your Passat B6 has numerous control units that you can modify and personalize to a great extent. So you get the chance to completely customize your Passat B6 according to your needs and preferences.
The Carly app is excellent for making these adjustments. It gives you the option of activating or deactivating various functions such as the warning tone when the seat belt is not fastened or the automatic start-stop system as desired. With the Carly app, you have access to a variety of other options to optimize your Passat B6 according to your individual preferences and realize a unique driving experience.
The coding options for your Passat B6 with Carly depend on the combination of ECUs installed. However, Carly is constantly being further developed to meet the diverse requirements. In this article we present you the different possibilities and how you can use them optimally. We’ve also put together some of the best advice and tricks for you.
Important note on the coding of the Passat B6
The use of MQB technology (Modular Transverse Toolkit) brings many advantages and simplifications, but makes the coding of your Passat B6 a bit more complicated. Since the Passat B6 shares its ECUs and electronics with up to 40 models from brands like Audi, Seat and Škoda, it can be a challenge to determine exactly which ECU (and in what combination with other ECUs) is installed. For this reason, you should read the following information carefully.
Don’t worry – coding doesn’t mean you have to write codes
The term “coding” can lead to misunderstandings. Many people believe they need to delve into learning how to code or even program. We can dispel these concerns directly. Coding simply means customizing your car’s existing features. Special software, an external diagnostic device or a smartphone app can help you do this. The Carly app is particularly recommended. In its clear menu, you just need to select the appropriate menu item, make your choice and press OK. Carly will then do the rest for you. To access the features, the Carly app requires Carly’s OBD-2 adapter. This plugs into your car’s OBD-2 port and allows the app to communicate with your Passat B6’s ECUs.
What is OBD-2 and what role does it play for the Passat B6?
OBD-2 (on-board diagnostics) is a standard originally developed to monitor systems that directly affect exhaust emissions. This standard enables the collection and analysis of data that could influence exhaust gas values. Error codes, which can be accessed via an app like Carly, are particularly important here. Before the introduction and standardization of OBD, each vehicle manufacturer had its own system.
Over time, the OBD interface has been used more and more for general communication with vehicles, such as the Passat B6. To connect, an OBD adapter is plugged into the designated port inside the vehicle. Carly uses BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) for the connection, which means that your device connects automatically without you having to search for it in the Bluetooth device list.
The OBD-3 standard is currently being developed in the USA. Let’s imagine the following scenario: You bring your Passat B6 in for inspection and the diagnosis shows no problems. Three months later, a warning light comes on, but you ignore it. Only a year later, you bring the car in for another inspection and it turns out that the exhaust gas values have already been above the permissible limit for nine months. With OBD-2 this scenario is possible. But what about OBD-3?
OBD-3 would transmit the relevant data (via a SIM card or satellite) directly to the relevant authority in the event of a fault, so you could no longer simply ignore the warning. If you do not fix the error within a certain period of time, you could face penalties. It is currently unclear whether this standard will also be introduced in Europe. However, it is likely to be many years before this is the case.
With the use of OBD-2 and an app like Carly, you can best monitor and customize your Passat B6 to make your driving experience more enjoyable and safe.
The electronics of the Passat B6: control modules as the central nervous system
The Passat B6 has about 60 control modules (in comparison: the Passat B1 had only 2). Together, these act as the vehicle’s electronic nervous system. They are all connected to each other through a data communication network and can be controlled through the OBD-2 interface. Each of these control modules has a specific task, such as controlling the central locking system, the lights or the power windows.
As each control module can be addressed individually, you have the possibility to read out data and feed in new codings. This gives you the chance to customize your Passat B6 and adapt it to your needs and preferences. Adding additional information or features can make your driving experience even more enjoyable and safe.
Modern technologies and apps like the Carly app make it easier than ever for Passat B6 owners to manage these control modules and customize their vehicle. With the right combination of hardware and software, there are numerous options for optimally adapting the Passat B6 to your needs and driving style.
Customization potential of the Passat B6: A wide range of options
The options for customizing your Passat B6 are enormously diverse. In this section we will give you an overview of the different customization options and explain some of the features in detail:
VW Passat B6 turn signal settings
With Carly OBD scanner you have the possibility to make a number of modifications to the turn signals of your Passat B6. Here are some of the setting variations you can implement with Carly:
- Adjusting the flashing frequency: Modify the number of flashes when the turn signal lever is pressed briefly, for example from three to five times.
- Comfort flashing function: Turn on or off the function in which the turn signal automatically flashes several times when the lever is operated for a short time.
- US turn signals: Activate the US turn signals function, where the turn signals light up together with the parking lights in a subdued intensity.
- Dynamic Flashing: Turn on dynamic flashing (if supported), where the turn signals flash in a chaser animation instead of just turning on and off.
- Flashing during emergency braking: Activate the automatic switching on of the hazard warning lights when the vehicle reaches a certain deceleration during emergency braking.
- Turn signal brightness adjustment: Adjust the light intensity of the turn signals to make them appear brighter or darker.
Please note that the availability of these functions depends on your vehicle model and the installed hardware and software. It is also important to keep in mind that some modifications may violate local traffic rules or regulations. Therefore, make sure that any changes you want to make are allowed in your country and according to local laws.
Passat B6 Coming Home and Leaving Home adjustments
With the Carly OBD scanner, you have the ability to configure the Coming Home (CH) and Leaving Home (LH) functions of your Passat B6 to your liking. Here are some of the possible adjustments you can make with the Carly OBD scanner:
- Activation/deactivation of the “Coming Home” (CH) function: this function ensures that the headlights remain on for a certain period of time after the engine has been switched off, to provide you with a safely illuminated path. With Carly you can turn this feature on or off if it is not already active by default.
- Activating/deactivating the “Leaving Home” (LH) function: This function automatically activates the headlights when you unlock your vehicle to brighten up the area around the car before you get in. With Carly, you can also enable or disable this feature at will.
- Adjustment of the lighting time: With the Carly OBD scanner you have the possibility to adjust the duration for which the headlights light up during the “Coming Home” and “Leaving Home” function. You can set the time span in seconds individually.
- Light source selection: Carly offers you the option to individually select the light sources for the “Coming Home” and “Leaving Home” functions. You can decide whether only the main headlights, the low beam, the high beam, the fog lights or the turn signals should be used for these functions.
Please note that the availability of these functions depends on your vehicle model and the installed hardware and software. Also, make sure that any customizations you make are allowed in your country and according to local laws.
Passat B6 parking assistance system adjustments
The parking assist system, often called parking distance control (PDC), is a helpful feature that assists you when parking and backing out of your Passat B6. Various individual settings and coding allow you to customize this system according to your personal needs and preferences. A common method for making these adjustments is to use the Carly app. In the following, you will learn more about the different customization options of the parking assistance system of your Passat B6:
- Beep when shifting into reverse: This function allows the parking assistance system to be configured to sound or not to sound when shifting into reverse. Some drivers find it a helpful reminder that the system is active, while others may find it annoying.
- Automatic deactivation at certain speed: You have the option of defining a speed limit above which the parking assistance system is automatically deactivated. This can be useful to prevent the system from operating unnecessarily when you are traveling at higher speeds and do not need park assist.
- Volume reduction of navigation and radio/music: While the parking assistance system is active, you can define whether the volume of navigation and radio/music should be reduced automatically or not. This setting can help to better perceive the system’s acoustic cues and minimize possible distractions.
To make these adjustments, you need the Carly app, which should be installed on your smartphone or tablet. Connect your device to the OBD2 port of your Passat B6 and follow the instructions in the app to make the desired settings for the parking assistance system. Please note that you might need a suitable OBD2 adapter cable to make the connection.
Passat B6 seat belt warning system adjustments
The seatbelt reminder system in your Passat B6 is a feature that reminds you to wear your seatbelt before you start your drive. However, some drivers may find the audible cue annoying and would like to turn it off. With the Carly app, you have the option to permanently disable this warning function. In the following section you will learn more about this specific coding:
- Deactivating the seat belt warning system: To turn off the warning system, the Carly app is required, which should be installed on your smartphone or tablet. Pair your device with the OBD2 port of your Passat B6 and follow the steps in the app to disable the seatbelt reminder system. Keep in mind that you may need a suitable OBD2 adapter cable to make the connection.
It is important to note that turning off the seat belt reminder system in no way means that you should refrain from wearing your seat belt. It is still critical to use your seat belt to ensure your own safety and that of your passengers. Furthermore, there is no legal obligation to use the warning system. However, since September 2019, all new cars must have such a system. Since the Passat B6 was produced before this date, it is not affected by this regulation.
Take into account that deactivating the seat belt warning system may not be permitted in some countries or could have legal consequences. Therefore, inform yourself in advance about the respective laws and regulations in your country before you switch off the warning system.
Passat B6 Adaptation of the climate system
The air conditioning system in your Passat B6 plays a central role in ensuring a comfortable interior temperature during your journeys. There are various codings and customizations you can perform to optimize the climate system according to your personal preferences. One of these customization options relates to the display of the fan level in Auto mode. Here, this specific coding is explained in more detail:
- Display of the fan stage in car mode: In the Passat B6, you have the option of configuring the air conditioning system so that the fan stage is also displayed in car mode. Normally, the fan level is automatically controlled in Auto mode and is not displayed. However, this coding allows you to see the fan level at any time, which gives you a better understanding of how the air conditioning system works.
To perform this customization, you need the Carly app, which should be installed on your smartphone or tablet. Connect your device to the OBD2 port of your Passat B6 and follow the steps in the app to enable the fan level display in car mode.
Displaying the fan level in Auto mode on your A/C controller gives you additional insight into how the A/C system is working. This coding will allow you to feel even more comfortable in your vehicle, as you will be able to understand exactly how the climate control system acts to ensure optimal comfort in your Passat B6.
Personalization of the flashing sequence in the Passat B6
The turn signal sequence in your Passat B6 is a useful feature that indicates to other drivers your intentions, such as turning or changing lanes. You have the possibility to modify this sequence according to your personal preferences. For example, you can set the number of flashes that are triggered when you press the turn signal lever only briefly. Below you will find a detailed explanation of this coding:
- Personalization of the turn signal sequence: In your Passat B6, you can customize the number of flashes that are emitted when you briefly tap the turn signal lever. By default, a short tap on the lever usually generates three flashes. However, you have the option to vary this number between one and five blinks, depending on what suits you the most.
Lowering of the right exterior mirror in reverse gear on the Passat B6
Automatic lowering of the right-hand exterior mirror when reversing is a practical feature that makes maneuvering and parking in tight spaces easier. It allows you to tilt the right side mirror so that you have a better view of the curb or other potential obstacles. On your Passat B6, you have the option of coding this function and adapting it to your needs. In the following you will find detailed information:
- Automatic lowering of the right exterior mirror: To activate this function, you need the Carly app, which should be installed on your mobile device. Connect your device to the OBD2 port of your Passat B6 and follow the steps in the app to turn on this feature.
Once the lowering of the right-hand exterior mirror is activated when reversing, the right-hand exterior mirror automatically folds down as soon as you engage reverse gear. This allows you to park more precisely and maneuver safely in tight spaces, as you have a better view of curbs and other obstacles without having to get out of the car.
Depending on the specific setup options of your Passat B6, you may even be able to adjust the exact angle of the mirror drop to make it perfect for your individual vision needs.
Coding of the rear lights on the Passat B6
To increase the visibility and safety of your Passat B6 when reversing, it is possible to adjust the brightness of your taillights individually. This can be done with the Carly app, which allows you to code and personalize the intensity of your tail lights.
- Adjusting the brightness of the taillights: To adjust the brightness of your tail lights, you’ll need the Carly app, which should be installed on your mobile device. Connect your smartphone or tablet to the OBD2 port of your Passat B6 and follow the steps in the app to adjust the intensity of your tail lights. Note that a compatible OBD2 cable may be required for the connection.
Modifying the brightness of your taillights improves your visibility to other road users, especially in low light conditions or at night. A stronger taillight light can help other drivers see your vehicle better when you’re backing up, increasing safety on the road.
Note, however, that in some countries or regions there are certain regulations or restrictions regarding the permissible intensity of vehicle lights. Therefore, it is advisable to check your local regulations before adjusting the brightness of your tail lights.
Coding of the rear lights and seat heating in the Passat B6
The personalization and coding of your Passat B6 allows you to modify various light and comfort functions of your vehicle. An exciting feature is the activation of the rear lights as additional brake lights. This means that when you brake, not only the regular brake lights, but also the tail lights will shine brighter to more clearly signal your intention to brake.
This customization increases the visibility of your vehicle when braking, which helps other road users see your intentions more clearly and react accordingly. This can reduce the likelihood of rear-end collisions and increase overall road safety.
Note, however, that in certain countries or regions there may be legal requirements or restrictions regarding the use of tail lights as brake lights. Therefore, inform yourself in advance about the applicable regulations in your country before making this change.
Coding of the seat heating in the Passat B6
Another helpful feature is saving the last used level of your seat heater. With this function, your Passat B6 automatically saves the last seat heating setting and restores it the next time you start the vehicle. Here is a detailed description of it:
- Seat heating level memory: If you activate this function, your Passat B6 remembers the last seat heating setting used as soon as you switch off the vehicle. The next time the vehicle is started, the seat heating is automatically reset to the previously set level. This is especially convenient in the cold months, as you don’t have to manually adjust the seat heating level every time.
To activate this feature, you can use the Carly app, which should be installed on your smartphone or tablet. The Carly app allows you to customize the settings of your Passat B6, including the function to save the seat heating level.
Coding of the start-stop function and the headlight cleaning system in the Passat B6
An interesting way to personalize your Passat B6 is to deactivate the automatic start-stop system. This function automatically stops the engine when your vehicle is stationary (e.g. at a traffic light) and restarts it as soon as you depress the clutch pedal or, in the case of an automatic transmission, release the brake pedal. Some drivers find this feature annoying and would like to turn it off permanently. Here is a detailed tutorial on how to do it:
- Deactivating the start-stop function: If you want to permanently deactivate the start-stop function, this can be done with the Carly app. This adjustment means that the automatic start-stop system is no longer activated automatically every time you start the car, so you don’t have to flick the switch to turn off the function every time you drive.
- To change this setting, you need the Carly app, which should be installed on your smartphone or tablet. With the Carly app, you can change various settings on your Passat B6, including disabling the start-stop function.
By disabling the start-stop function, you can improve your driving comfort and experience by preventing the engine from automatically shutting off when the vehicle comes to a stop. Keep in mind, however, that the start-stop function is designed to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. Deactivating the function could increase both consumption and emissions of your vehicle.
Coding of the headlight cleaning system in the Passat B6
Adjusting the cleaning interval of your headlight cleaning system is another way to personalize your Passat B6. This function allows you to determine how often the headlight cleaning system is activated and thus better tailor it to your needs. Here is a detailed tutorial on how to do it:
- Adjusting the cleaning interval of the headlight cleaning system: By changing the cleaning interval, you can determine how often the headlight cleaning system comes into operation. This can be useful to increase the efficiency of headlight cleaning or to adjust the cleaning cycle to the current weather and driving conditions.
To adjust the cleaning interval of the headlight cleaning system of your Passat B6, you need the Carly app, which should be installed on your smartphone or tablet. With the Carly app, you can adjust various settings of your vehicle, including changing the cleaning interval of the headlight cleaning system.
Coding of daytime running lights and door warnings in the Passat B6
You can further customize your Passat B6 by setting the daytime running lights to activate only when the light switch is in the “Auto” setting. This adjustment allows you to use the daytime running lights only when the light switch is in the “Auto” position. Read here how this works:
- Activation of daytime running lights only in “Auto” mode: With this adjustment, the daytime running lights are switched on exclusively when the light switch is set to “Auto”. This means that the daytime running light remains deactivated if the light switch is set to another position, such as “Off” or “Low beam”. This setting gives you more control over the activation of the daytime running lights and can reduce power consumption as well as wear and tear on the daytime running lights.
You can make this change using the Carly app, which should be installed on your smartphone or tablet. The app allows you to change various settings of your Passat B6, including daytime running lights activation only in “Auto” mode.
Open door warning in the Passat B6
Another useful feature you can customize in your Passat B6 is the ability to disable the audible open door warning when the engine is running. Here’s how it works:
- Disabling open door alerts: If you set this function, the audible alert that sounds when a door is open while the ignition is on will be turned off. This can be useful if you find the sound annoying or if you need to open the door more often while parking or maneuvering with the engine running.
With the Carly app, which should be installed on your smartphone or tablet, you can disable the open door warning. The app lets you adjust various settings in your Passat B6, including disabling the open door warning sound when the ignition is on.
Turning off alerts when doors are open can contribute to a more pleasant driving experience by reducing distracting sounds. However, it is important to note that these warnings are meant to alert you to potential security issues. By disabling the alerts, you could potentially miss important information about your vehicle’s condition.
Using the Carly app for the Passat B6
Personalization and coding of your Passat B6 is possible in just four uncomplicated steps. First, download the free lite version of the Carly app from the App Store or Google Play. Then purchase the Carly OBD adapter at www.mycarly.com.
After you receive the adapter, all you have to do is connect it to your vehicle – it’s as easy as plugging a cord into a wall outlet. Activate Bluetooth on your smartphone and launch the app. The Carly app automatically connects to your vehicle. With the Lite version you can check which features are available for your car.
After viewing the features available for your car in the Lite version of the app, you can sign up for an annual subscription. You can then easily code and personalize your Passat B6 with your smartphone. The process is really straightforward.
In addition to coding, the Carly app also offers many other helpful features that can enhance your driving experience. Here are some of these functions, which we will explain in detail.
Carly used car inspection
If you plan on buying a used car, it’s important to make sure the vehicle is in good condition and especially that the mileage hasn’t been tampered with. That’s where the Carly app’s used car inspection comes in. Carly is the only provider on the market that can check various ECUs and inspect the vehicle for potential tampering.
If one takes into account that an estimated 30% of all used cars in Germany are sold with manipulated speedometer readings, the importance of this function becomes clear. With the Carly app’s used car inspection, you’ll be well prepared to purchase a reliable and authentic vehicle.
Passat B6: Display and save live vehicle data
While you’re driving in the Passat B6, you have the option of monitoring various vehicle data in real time and saving it for subsequent analysis. By collecting and analyzing this data, you can, for example, make the consumption of your Passat B6 more efficient.
The health of your Passat B6
The health check provides you with a comprehensive representation of the current condition of your Passat B6. This feature integrates various diagnostic results such as error codes and maintenance histories and gives you an overall score in colored shades.
A green result indicates that your vehicle is in excellent condition. With a yellow result, you should take a closer look at the problems found to avert potentially expensive repairs. If the result is red, this requires immediate action to prevent potential damage.
Display and analyze error codes in the Passat B6
In the course of using your Passat B6, minor or major difficulties may arise from time to time. These are recorded as error codes. Normally, vehicle electronics automatically correct minor discrepancies by collecting sensor data, comparing actual and target values, and making necessary adjustments.
You can read and analyze these error codes to identify any trouble spots or recurring problems. After the analysis you have the possibility to clear the error codes and observe if old errors recur. Should this be the case, it is advisable to take appropriate measures to avoid possible damage or costly repairs.
By regularly checking the fault codes, you can gain valuable information about the performance of your Passat B6 and identify potential problems at an early stage. This information can help optimize the life and condition of your vehicle.
The Digital Workshop
By default, all your reports and diagnostic information are stored directly on your mobile device. However, there is an option to back up all this data to Carly’s digital garage. This allows you to easily create PDF files or share data via email. This is especially helpful if a potential buyer asks for specific vehicle data or your repair shop needs access to that information.
Your Passat B6 offers a wealth of coding and customization options. It’s up to you to decide which features are useful and which are more atypical. You always have the option to try out a function and if you don’t like it, reset it back to the original settings.
With the ease of use of the Carly app, you can personalize and customize your vehicle to your liking at any time. Personalizing your car is not only fun, but also allows you to tailor your Passat B6 perfectly to you.